Friday, July 2, 2010

Marshal Direct Fund

"Education and economic opportunity are the chief allies of peacemakers...
ignorance and poverty the playground for injustice and its ruthless leaders."





The above is a quote by our friend Silbi Kelly Stainton, the president and founder of the Marshall Direct Fund. We attended a reception for the Pakistani Ambassador to the US yesterday and were so impressed by this organization. They are building schools in Pakistan to counteract the Taliban curriculum, to teach peace instead of hatred.

Here are some photos of the event, although because I wasn't certain of the protocol at such an event, I only carried my pocket camera with me. As it turned out, I would have been OK with my big camera......Oh well, live and learn.






























It was Ambassador Haqqani's birthday so we all sang "Happy Birthday" to him before he had to hurry back to Washington for a morning meeting today.





I had to be dragged away from this beautiful living room....









I learned a lot, met quite a few very interesting people, enjoyed the warm hospitality of a wonderful couple, and left with a feeling of hope for that part of the world. Thanks, Silbi, for what you're doing for the people of Pakistan!

2 comments:

yammy said...

Wow! That is quite a view!!

Bella said...

It was quite unbelievable! And the people were such gracious hosts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...